This beautiful church is built on location where Our Lady appeared on March 22, 1888 as Our Lady of Sorrows, on Her knees, adoring Her dead Divine Son and offering Him to the Eternal Father.
The Bishop of 1888 himself became a witness to the apparition and Our Lady worked many miracles there. Like at Knock, Our Lady did not speak a word.
Pope John Paul II went on pilgrimage here March 19, 1995 and Father Gruner visited here for two days in July, 1995 as he was facilitating the acceptance of the Open Letter (see "Open Letter to Pope John Paul II").
Today the sanctuary is taken care of by a group of Franciscan priests and brothers who are very devoted to Our Lady. Some of the priests here have known Father Gruner for 20 years. Father Gruner heard many confessions while there and was privileged to be able to say the old Latin Mass at the sanctuary main altar.
It was here that Father Gruner again met Archbishop Milingo. He told Father Gruner that he had received many favorable letters from around the world supporting his speech at the Mexico Bishops' Peace Conference that was reported in The Fatima Crusader, No. 48.
Archbishop Milingo also agreed to accept and forward over 40,000 petitions to the Holy Father for the Consecration of Russia.